Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Twas the Day Before Thanksgiving

when all through the house
all the creatures were stirring for school was out
The turkey was stuffed on the stovetop with care
In hopes that Nana and Grandad soon would be there
The children were hungry and needed to be fed
While visions of kitchen disasters danced in Mama's head
The shopping still needed to be done
and going to the store would not be fun
The store would be so busy
the thought of it made me dizzy
Away to the mini van we flew like a flash
Do not forget the list left on the van's dash
When what to my wandering eyes should appear
but a parking spot that is not at all in the rear
Pushing the cart she shouted each ingredient by name
More rapid than eagles her barks came
Now butter! Now milk! And do not forget the wine!
To the back of the store, to the front of the line
Get into the van, we have got to get home y'all
Now drive away, drive away, avoiding the mall

With a trunk full of groceries and the baby too
They started fighting I heard in the back
Give me my toy, I want it back.
With my head spinning, I turned around
You better shape up or your heads I will pound
Into the driveway I drove like I was crazy
I am probably forgetting the rest it is starting to get hazy

The goods were brought in bag by bag
I do remember, I was starting to nag
The recipes were ripped from the pages
I had not made some of them in ages
With hungry children playing at my feet
I really hoped we could keep the place neat

As the day wore on it became such a drag
for I knew I was becoming such a hag
I swore that I would never do this again
But we all know what happens in the end
I made all stuffing, the pies, and ham
My mother god love her still wanted lamb

The dishes were done, the kids were tucked in
I got it all done I said with a grin
And now I am finished, so let the festivities begin


Happy Thanksgiving to all! And to all a good night!




This is just a silly little thing I wrote while avoiding the grocery store. It made my tired self giggle. ENJOY!!

0 comments: