Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Talk some sense into me!

My children are wonderful, I love them, really I do please believe me when you read this post....

Items destroyed by my 3 angels in 2010:
1 broken window in the playroom
1 broken window in the garage
1 broken window in our foyer
1 broken bike
2 lamps from their bedrooms each specifically purchased to match their "decor"
1 broken living room lamp
65, yes, I counted, 65 broken DVDs
Broken toys stopped counting, but a lot, enough for all the children in a small nation each to get a toy
1 broken lamp in the yard - think baseball bat smashing glass - AWESOME!

1 broken tv (this happened over the weekend and pushed me over the edge)

Keep in mind these are not "accidents", they are intentional acts of destruction. My angels aka demons have a habit of not respecting their things or ours for that matter and breaking them. The playroom is disgusting. I've cleaned it more times than I care to share and I know that is my job as a Mom.

I've had it though. I know what is coming. It is the time of year when my children get a huge influx of toys - between Christmas and their birthdays this time of year is crazy. I was going toss a bunch of baby toys but the baby is old enough to play with toys (so much for my plan to keep him a baby forever).

Last night, when they broke the TV I lost it. I pulled out my phone and called my husband's cousin who often stands in as Santa. I told him what they had done and told Santa to bring toys to children who won't break them and will respect them. I don't think that my point got across. Today I found them intentionally snapping crayons, what happened, a snapped Mommy. ARGH! Everyone got sent to their rooms while I tried to become myself again.

I talked to my husband on the phone and told him, no Santa gifts this year. Instead, we would take this as a lesson and learn about charity and giving to those in need. My husband was appalled. He can't believe that the thought would cross my mind. How could I be such a monster?

Am a I monster? I think that I am using this time of giving and love, as a means to make a point. Give unto others. I would craft a note from Santa talking about all the children who need more and who don't have anything, let alone extra things to break and not respect. Am I wrong? Is it wrong to try to teach them a lesson? Am I just crazy?

HELP! My husband thinks that I am so crazy he wants me to call my Mom so she can "talk some sense into me".

If you have advice for how to teach my children how to respect their things, please share. Also, regardless of what happens we do give a lot of toys to charity right now, I have a huge box of goodies in the closet to bring to Toys for Tots, this would just be extra.....

1 comments:

Katie said...

I'm not going to talk you out of it...because I'm experiencing the same problem. My kids haven't broken any windows but toys get chewed on by the dog (not put up)...DVDs ruined, other toys missing, broken, not played with. We even have toys in the closet that have never been opened from Christmas LAST year! And then my step-son's mom says to me,...he doesn't want to spend christmas at your house because you only gave him 9 gifts last year...I was like wha? Hold up...so, this year, three gifts per child and that is it. I want them to know the MEANING of Christmas and that it isn't about the gifts. So they will actually get things they will want and play with and a lesson too. I think it is a great idea!