Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 20th

I love that day...on 2/20/04. My phone rang - it was someone asking me if I thought it was a nice day for a drive (it was actually - it was sunny and in the 60's). I had no idea what Mike (our adoption agent) was talking to me about - then it dawned on me. Our birthmother was overdue by a week. It must be time. Thank goodness I had put the carseat back in the car (for the 5th time - thought I was jinxing myself).

I made it from our house to my husband's office in less than 20 minutes. That includes getting our bag, getting gas, and calling some folks (like everyone!). On a normal day the office was 20 minutes. When I got there and called to say I was downstairs, I was grounded from driving the 2 hour drive. I still contest that we would have been there for our son's delivery if I had been allowed to drive.

At 4:44pm, I am sure while I was glaring at my husband for driving the speed limit, our little man was born. We arrived at the hospital at 5:21. They were expecting us, we went and saw our birthmother and thanked her. Then we met him. He was gorgeous from his bald head to his cute toes. Perfection. Neither of us could hold him enough, we fought over given him his bottles, changing his diapers (that didn't last very long!).

If our son ever questions himself and his role in our family. I will tell him the truth. He was the most planned of any our children (not that we didn't want the others - we just weren't expecting them...at all). He IS THE ONE - the one that made me into: Mama, Mom, Mommy...priceless memeories and "moments" in my life are because of him.

Happy 6th bday little man - I hope it was a good one.

It was a fun day - breakfast alone with Daddy @ IHOP. We picked up his best friend. The 3 of us suffered thru, I mean, watched Toothfairy. Then we picked up the rest, and off to dinner at Red Robin. Home for homemade Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake and presents, including Strawberry Fanta. That is definitely a special treat - we don't drink soda in our house (ok our kids don't drink soda).

Can anyone explain why Strawberry Fanta EXPLODED all over my kitchen btw?!? I mean no prisoners: floor, windows, tile, sink, knife block, tea kettle - you name it - it was sticky and strawberry coated. The boys thought that it was very funny ( I wasn't laughing).

I'll chaulk that up to another memory I'll treasure....

5 comments:

Ashley Stone said...

What a wonderful story!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story! It's so sweet! Happy Birthday to your little man!
Following you back!

Amy said...

Happy birthday little man.
Happy SITS!

The Single Mothers Chronicles said...

Oh my goodness - I love this story (especially that you missed the birth because you weren't allowed to drive - LOL!)

Very, very sweet!
Swati

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What a sweet post and fabulous memory!