Monday, December 6, 2010

Forgive me

if the next few lines don't make any sense. I worked last night and only got about a 2 hour nap today - ugh.

Today was a special day at my work. I'm a Labor and Delivery nurse (if you didn't know). It is the most wonderful job - you are there when life is brought into the world, families are made - it is an honor to be there and witness those tears of joy. It is truly beautiful.

Not all of our times are happy, we have tragic moments and they are real tragedies. The kind that you carry with you and you see their faces in your blinking eyes for months, years. These are the patients who lose that little life, that little baby - it's enough to break your heart. Just the thought of some of my families can bring me to tears.

So every year, around this time, we have a Memorial Service at work, bringing those that want to participate to a ceremony honoring that little, precious gift that they lost.

So, during this season of celebration, joy and happiness - say a little pray for those that are suffering from the loss of a little life (no matter how little). Hug your babies extra tight and think of all the Angels around us....

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I can only imagine that those memorial services are very special to everyone... the families and the staff. I can't even imagine losing a child... so I'll give my little man and extra hug tonight.

Merry Christmas!

Xenia said...

What a sweet thing to do in honor of those have suffered such a horrible loss. I'm sure those ceremonies mean a lot to them and help them honor the little ones that they miss.

Lothiriel said...

What a wonderful sweet thing to do for them. I cannot and don't want to imagine what losing your baby is like. Giving birth to my baby was amazing and holding her for the first time was the most wonderful thing in the world!