Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Raw Energy Book Review

I have the pleasure of working with a woman who had just embarked on a raw food diet. I was fascinated by this diet, nothing is cooked above 120 degrees. I would watch her eat these meals that looked and smelled delicious (as I was eating something nasty from the cafeteria). Of course, being a mom of 3, there is NO WAY I could afford to purchase meals from a restaurant to feed us for 2 months. Lucky for me, I was contacted by Storey Publishing to a review a book by Stephanie Tourles entitled, "Raw Energy".

Photobucket




The book explains what a raw food diet entails. It is much easier than I thought. The first chapter of the book is what I would call, "Raw Food for Dummies". I learned so much by reading this section of the book. For instance, why is a raw food diet so healthy? Raw food is simply a way of having your body and your diet work for you to provide energy. The foods are nutritious, dense (meaning they will get you full with less), easy to prepare, portable, etc. The second chapter is raw food pantry 101. What foods are included in a raw food diet? There are so many - for the basics - nuts, grains, fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices, and sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc). There are some specialty ingredients, but I was amazed to read them and notice that I have seen some at my regular grocery store and a few that I would need to get from a grocer like Whole Foods.

After the raw food primer, Tourles begins with the recipes which are YUM! She opens with shakes and smoothies. On a busy morning, there is nothing better for the kiddies than a nice homemade smoothie. Tourles has some great ideas, like "Strawberry-Citrus Frozen Fruit Cream". There is a whole range of recipes in this book from breakfast to dessert to snacks and everything in between.

Some of these snack ideas are great for kids. Part of my problem with my eldest right now with his diminished appetite is putting snacks in his hand that are high protein (energy). Well this book has given me numerous ideas.

I learned from the girl at work that embarking on a raw food diet doesn't mean a diet of carrot sticks and celery. Instead, it is a diet that incorporates flavor, taste, and goodness. The possibilities are endless with a raw food diet. As someone who also has to lose a few pounds this give me great snack ideas for myself. I know that these snacks are nutrient rich and filling.

If you have a chance, if you are the least bit interested in a new way of thinking about food, preparing food, how to snack, or have a few pounds to lose. I urge you to pick this book up and have a great read and get some fabulous new ideas!!!

I know you are asking yourself, where can I buy this? I have the answer! Raw Energy by Stephanie Tourles retails for $16.95 and includes more than 125 recipes. It can purchased at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.




I want to thank Storey publishing again for the allowing me the opportunity to review Raw Energy. The opinions expressed here are my own and other than receiving a copy of the book, I was not compensated. I also want to thank MamaBuzz for making this review possible.

4 comments:

x said...

I've always been interested in learning more about this diet. I will look for this book at B&N.

Unknown said...

Very cool.

Angie Johnson said...

I love food but I am so un-creative when it comes to thinking about what to make. I do notice that when I eat fruits, veggies, nuts and whole grains I have more energy but I am totally challenged when it comes to thinking up meals or snacks for that matter. I will check this book out. I am follwing you from MBC!

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I've been interested in this for a long time too, but afraid to try cuz I didn't know where to begin. I'm going to check this book out. Thanks for the awesome and thorough review!!