Thursday, March 4, 2010

Meatless Friday Night.....

It’s Lent at my house – which means meatless Fridays. Some of my vegetarian Vegan friends would laugh, but my husband and kids are real meat and potatoes types. I could take it or leave it. My husband is also picky (not my children, my husband).

That being said, my dear friend Kaysha, asked if I had any Lenten recipes up my sleeve. I do! So, here go – ENJOY!

Overnight Crab Casserole

( if you are tired of the ole Tuna Casserole). My Father-in-law loves this recipe. He gobbles it up. I usually serve it with a really nice salad.

I can crab (6 oz)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup milk
½ cup miracle whip/ mayo (I only make it with mayo – not a miracle whip girl)
2 cups extra fine noodles, uncooked
1 ½ tsp. onion flakes
2 hard boiled eggs – blech I don’t add the eggs
1 cup grated cheddar – divided

Drain the crab. Discard the juice. Empty the crab meat into a mixing bow and break up slightly with a fork.

Stir in undiluted soup, milk, mayo, and onion flakes. Stir in noodles and yes, they will break.

(If adding eggs – chop them up and add them now). Add ½ cup cheese. Empty into a buttered casserole dish. Top with Cheese. Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes – serves 4.


Now this recipe is amazing! It comes from hubbie’s aunt. So yummy!

Baked Shrimp

oh but eat this one if you are on a diet (see 1st ingredient!). Excellent if you have company

1 cup (2 sticks) butter melted
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ cup minced parsley
2 tblsp fresh lemon juice
3 lrge cloves garlic, minced
2 tblsp Basil
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
¾ - 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
½ tsp salt
2 lbs. large shrimp – shelled and deveined tails on
½ cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 450. Combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow 2 qt. baking dish and mix well. Remove ¼ of the mixture and set aside.

Add the shrimp to the baking dish and mix thoroughly. Combine the breadcrumbs with reserved sauce and sprinkle over shrimp. Bake 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.


Enjoy! I’ll have to look and find the other Lenten Standbys…

4 comments:

B-Dub said...

Yummy! Assuming you like sea food. Which, truthfully, I don't. And I should mention that the only fish my kids will eat is fried and comes in sticks. I have some great bean recipes if your interested- wait, can you have "artificial ham flavors" or is that unlentey?

*Katy* said...

These sound yummy! Luckily I remembered Lent ahead of time and when fish went on sale, I bought lots. We love crab, so I'm definitely going to try that crab casserole!

Deb K said...

I am now following from MBC FFF!

Hope you will visit me too~
http://debshere.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I guess this works for Lent, but not for vegetarians like me! I have heard that Match Meats has a mock crab, which I would love to try! I like adapting meat recipes into veggies ones, but seafood is hard to adapt. Although I made a lemongrass tofu once that my husband said tasted like fish.