Sunday, June 10, 2012

Footprints


Footprints in the Sand - Poem

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

-Mary Stevenson)



I know what you are thinking, why on Earth is she posting this?!

I found out late last night that yet another one of my friends has been battling cancer - sigh. This brings me to 3. I read his Caring Bridge to catch up (this is what happens when you have a baby when he finds out and have been neglectful of those you love in your life). It also made me think of one of my dear friends who had to deliver her sweet precious baby early. Another friend(s) desperately wanting a baby. Another friend of mine, her hairdresser's daughter ( I know, just a little stretch) is fighting for her life after a near drowning - sweet little thing. Each of them struggling with their own war. Each one of them hurting some physically but all emotionally.

These people are all wonderful, special, good people. It makes my heart hurt to think of each them struggling. It's one of those why them moments? Why not that jerk? Why these good precious people????

I know because I've said it before myself to myself, God doesn't give you anything that you can't handle??? Really??? I am pretty sure that if you ask each of my friends at this moment they might beg to differ.

It also makes me look at my family - the 6 of us and our extended families and realize just how blessed we are. Take a moment squeeze those you love...


Reading this always has and probably will give me solace. This was a reminder to myself, that they are not walking alone.

0 comments: